Saturday, February 8, 2014

Swirly Sandalwood

A couple of months ago I got a pair of boots for the winter with a gift card. While I love my boots, I was even more excited to have a big rectangular shoe box! A shoe box in our house is rare. When we do buy shoes, they're usually the kind on the little hangers at Walmart. Needless to say, I was thrilled with my new slab mold ;). I decided to try a swirl. I lined the shoe box with a garbage bag to prevent soap batter leaking out of the corners. I thought it was nice and smooth. After I had unmolded the soap, though, I saw that it had left imprints of creases on the underside, so that was a little dissapointing. Live and learn I guess.


I colored the soap with black, a winey red, yellow, and gold mica. I normally gravitate towards bright pinks, yellows, and greens; but this color combination is nice. This is a very moisturizing bar with Avocado oil and Avocado butter. So the lather is more creamy, but it is nice since the heat is on almost non-stop these days.


I am in love with this smell! When I was younger, my mom would let my sister and me pick out some Bath and Body scents a couple times a year. When I got married, there was no room in the budget for things like that, so I'm not very knowledgeable about smells. I had not clue what Sandalwood smelled like. When I smelled it straight out of the bottle, I thought that i had made a mistake! I hated it; but after soaping with it, it is one of my favorites. It's so warm and not too heavy. It's so nice in the shower.


Again, I had a hard time cutting even regular shaped pieces. The more I tried to straighten edges, the more they needed straightened :). I ended up with pretty small bars and a bunch of scraps, but overall I was happy with my first swirled soap!

3 comments:

  1. That swirl is fantastic!!!! I would have never believed it was your first! I know when I first started soaping I used shoe boxes for molds a lot. I really don't remember why I stopped. I wish I still used a lot of nontraditional type molds, would save me some monies!! Great job on the soap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And thanks for checking out my blog. It's been a while since I've been on my blogged and was surprised to see a comment :). I would love to have "real molds" someday, but they are expensive for sure. I've enjoyed looking at all of the beautiful soap on your blog, as well, I've just been a little shy about commenting yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete